Friday, January 22, 2016

Acting Beats


Beat:
A group of lines or simple actions all related to the same idea, subject, activity or line of thought. It may contain
several actions and several tactics. Breaking up a scene into beats clarifies what an actor/character is pursuing
from moment to moment. It also helps create clarity, variety, movement, pace, rhythm, and tension.
A Beat Change:
This is a shift to a new idea, activity, line of thought, or subject. Usually a beat change is marked by a physical
or vocal shift by one or many actors, it also may represent a tactical shift or a shift in the
Action/Intention/Objective/Tactic being played by the actor. Not all of the actors agree on where the beat
changes, this contributes to making scenes more alive.


THE HALLWAY by Sil Wheatley
Alden is waiting, nervously.
Nan enters. She sees him, but he doesn’t see her.
She crosses past him quickly. He sees her and calls out to her.
ALDEN: Nan! Nan wait!
NAN: I have to go.
ALDEN: Please. I need to talk to you.
NAN: I’m late for class.
(turns to go)
ALDEN: Wait!
(she doesn’t)
I spoke to Bonnie.
NAN: Are you stalking me now!?


ALDEN: No. Of course not. I was just worried.
NAN: About what?
ALDEN: About you! About us.
NAN: There is no us.
ALDEN: She told me that you been to the doctor and-
NAN: Ugh, I’ll kill her!
ALDEN: Nan please tell me if it’s true.
NAN: If what’s true?
ALDEN: Are you…? Or did you-?
NAN: It’s none of your business! It’s my body and my life!
ALDEN: It’s my responsibility!
(Silence)
NAN: I have to go.
ALDEN: Please.
NAN: Leave me alone.
ALDEN: I can’t.
NAN: (exiting)
Why not!
(She exits.)
ALDEN: (Alone)
Because I love you.






No comments: