Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Black Lives Matter Script


Sandra Bland: Slide 
Narrator: The date is July 13, 2015. And a beautiful woman at the age of 28 is headed to her first day on the job. She’s nervous as anyone would be. It hasn’t been the best day, and it certainly isn’t getting better as she sees red and blue lights flash in her rearview mirror.
Sandra: I pull over, to let him by… but he follows and pulls over, too. I don’t know what to think, but there’s no way I was getting to work on time, now.
Narrator: He walks up, asking for license and registration, the usual. He’s giving her a ticket for failing to signal.
Sandra: Of course.
Narrator: He tells her to put out her cigarette.
Sandra: Why?! I’m getting a ticket because I didn’t signal to let him pass and now-
Narrator: He tells her to get out of the car
Sandra: I-I don't know why. I haven't done anything to warrant arrest.
Narrator: He tells her to get out of the car.
Cop: "I will light you up. Get out. Now. Get out of the car."
Narrator: He pulls her from the car.
Sandra: I'm scared.
Narrator: He drags her out of view of his camera, her voice can be heard screaming in pain.
Sandra: My wrists! You’re going to break my wrists!
Narrator: Her screams subside as she is dragged back in frame and into the car.
Sandra: I died three days later in prison. They say I hung myself but even I don't know what to believe, nothing stays the same every time they talk about what happened. My eyes were already dead in the mugshot. My name is Sandra Bland and I died for refusing to put out my cigarette.

Tamir Rice
Narrator: The date is November 22, 2014. A 12-year old boy is playing in the park, it’s been a boring day so far.
Tamir: It’s just one of those days, you know the kind. I’m stuck out the house and it’s cold and the snow isn’t even deep enough to make snow angels and it’s all mushy so snowballs fall apart before you can throw them.
Narrator: Other than the man under the park’s gazebo he’s alone. The toy gun he got for his birthday is missing the orange safety cap, he took it off to play cops and robbers along the line and never found it. (Audio of 911 phone call about someone carrying a gun) From a distance it almost looks real.
Tamir: It is too cold for this. It’s all peaceful sure, but I’m like the only one here and it’s too quiet, ya know the kinda quiet that happens in horror movies and when a joke isn’t funny… I’m outta here.
Narrator: The cops speed up to the scene.
Tamir: What the…?
Narrator: The car slides to a stop in the ice and snow. Within seconds the police get out and-
Tamir: What’s happeni-
Narrator: They fire at him. 4 minutes pass before any medical help is called.
Tamir: They just let me lie there, bleeding. All I saw was the car speed up and… My name is Tamir Rice. I didn’t even get to highschool. I was playing with a fake gun in a park… I’m sorry.

Eric Garner
Narrator: The date is July 17, 2014. A man, age 43 is selling cigarettes outside a corner store. It’s a humid day and the air sticks to his skin as he sells.
Eric: Times haven’t been easy for a while now. My kids are growin up an I wanna get them something a little special today. A few extra bucks never hurt nobody.
Narrator: A few officers approach him and ask what he’s doing.
Eric: Oh what now? I’m so tired of this. The cops are always on my case. I could be walkin and they got an eye on me.
Cop: You know what you did wrong.
Eric: No. I didn’t do anything.
Narrator: They keep a back and forth for a bit as a few people gather. Policemen slowly begin to accumulate.
Eric: Why are they always doing this? Why??
Narrator: An officer steps forward, attempting to handcuff him.
Eric: Please don’t touch me, just leave me alo-
Narrator: Several officers flock around him. One jumps on his back and puts him in a choke hold.
Eric: I can’t breathe! I can’t breathe!
Narrator: After nearly a minute of very little struggle, he goes limp under the excessive force and the swarm disperses. (Heart beat and EKG Monitor) He’s in cardiac arrest. Even when the paramedics arrive, they do nothing to save him. (Ambulance Sirens)
Eric: I was minding my own business. I didn’t have nothin on me. I told them. I was just there, tryna make an extra buck or two. What’s wrong with that? What’s wrong with that…? My name is Eric Garner and I died for sellin’ untaxed cigarettes… I can’t breathe.
 


 Philando Castile:
 Narrator: The date is July 6, 2016. After a night of laughing with his sister, a 32 year old cafeteria worker is driving back home with his girlfriend and four year daughter.
Philando: Man, it has been such a good day. Sunny skies, birds singin’. We're leaving the apartment and headin back home. Got my baby girl in the back, she’s growing up so fast. Today she's talkin up a storm about how rainbows work. Talkin bout how all that light makes all them colors. My girlfriend, diamond, she's such sweetheart. Shes teachin our baby to be the best lil girl she can. Diamond’s got a smile could light up an entire city. We were visiting my sister today. It’s been a while. She always knows how to make me laugh.
Narrator: The police pull him over for a routine traffic stop.
Philando: Third time this month, they always target guys who look like I do. Broken taillight? Wonderful.
Narrator: Over the course of a few years, he’s been through 52 traffic stops. Never anything more than small misdemeanors, but they piled up. This was a regular for him by now.
Philando: He asks if I have a firearm…? That’s new… I tell him the truth, I have a firearm, but not within reach.
Narrator: The officer pulls a out his gun, demanding to see the license for it.
Philando: I tell him I’m reaching for my wallet, for my ID. I tell him I’m getting my ID. I’m telling the truth. I’m reaching for the glove box.
Narrator: The officer fires 4 times (gunshots), each bullet lodges in his arm. (Audio of streamed video)
Philando: There’s a loud ringing. I can hear my girlfriend screaming for me. She wants me to stay. I can hear my baby tryna comfort her. She’s a brave girl. I’m proud of her. My name is Philando Castile, I died that day, bled out. I died for being honest. For reaching for my ID.

No comments: